Monday, August 20, 2007

Mini update

There isn't much to update from last time, so I'll just share some photos and make sure everyone knows we're still alive. Still unemployed, in my case. But you'll be glad to know that yesterday's horoscopes promised that although the beginning of my week would be a bit ordinary, by the end my career will be dazzling. So that's something to look forward to.

Ricky Gervais' attempt at irony via billboard; he makes funny TV but I think he's pissing a lot of people off.


All dressed up for our visit to Club Noir, the world's biggest burlesque club.

I bought the dress in Armstrong's, a 2nd hand clothes "emporium" (think that translates as "shop that's bigger than normal") which has been in Edinburgh since 1840. It was an amazing shop. The dress cost 12 pounds because of "wear and tear", i.e. some sequins had fallen off and there were some loose threads, but it was so sparkly you couldn't really tell. I got a couple of compliments and felt pretty glam. Toby looked very spunky in his suit which he wore with braces (also from Armstrong's). The hat ended up staying home. It was a great show and a good night, although as usual it was ruined by my new shoes which started to hurt my feet, and a lack of taxis which meant we had to walk (very slowly) 3/4 of the way home before we found a free one. We shouldn't have worried too much about the dress code; most of the girls looked amazing, in evening wear, vintage party dresses or corset/tutu/fishnet stocking ensembles but there were some blokes who just shouldn't have been allowed in at all. Toby was definitely the best looking guy there, and I'm not just saying that because I'm his girlfriend.

Water of Leith, looking swollen and fast after Saturday's non-stop rain (yes I wore my new silver stilettos out in the rain).

Sunday was basically a write-off after our big night but we did manage to get out in the afternoon to further explore the Water of Leith walkway near our house.

Some rapids near the path's turn-off to the national gallery of art; yes we can walk to that from our house, via this walkway. Pretty cool. Next to this spot was a memorial to victims of AIDS; there was a park bench and some plaques with poetry. It was a peaceful, kind of sad place.


Toby's attempt at arty photography along a mossy wall.


No comments: